Monday, September 27, 2010

winning the battle


Remember my weekly posts about Winning the Battle and my struggle to work on my weight and workout goals?  Well, those kind of got taken care of when I was selected for Chief earlier this summer and went through two months of training.

Being healthy and strong requires balance.  Like the woman in the Vermeer painting above, this balance can require attention and patience.  While the past two months of my life haven't been exactly the most balanced and healthy months of my life, I do feel that I learned some valuable lessons that will help me as I move forward with my goal of being physically strong and healthy.

I'm not sure how much weight total I lost or how many inches I lost either, because I have not gotten on a scale since mid-July.  I did have weigh-ins every couple of weeks during training, but I didn't really worry too much about them; I just trusted that I was doing everything I could to take care of my body and worked really hard to make sure I lost the needed weight.  I'm now in the best shape of my life and looking forward to maintaining it.  I learned a lot about what my body is capable of and just how strong I am.  I was quite surprised to find out that I can actually run five miles on after pulling an all nighter, that I can do pushups on command until I drop from exhaustion, and that I can actually function on very little sleep when needed.  That balance thing would have come in real handy at some points during my training.

I also found my breakfast of champions for days when I have the really hard workouts and need something that will stick with me through three hour workouts.  This combination worked really well for me: a banana (I buy the smaller ones), Activia vanilla yogurt and Kashi Go Lean or Kashi Go Lean Crunch.  When I ate this at 0330 in the morning, I had the energy I needed for my 0530 workouts which lasted for two to three hours at times.

I will be working hard to maintain my newly acquired strength and body.  I plan to continue sharing some of my tips and things I like.  Hopefully, something will help you out along the way.

Oh, I ran my first official race this weekend - the Navy 5 Miler.  It was great to be out running again and to do it because I like it and not because someone was yelling at me to get going.  I ran the race in 1:00:28, which is a 12 minute mile pace.  My goal was to simply have fun and I did.

One of the tools that helps me find balance is the Word of Wisdom which is the LDS code of health.  While it touches on the substances we avoid ingesting, the Word of Wisdom also outlines the ways we can be healthy in our diet.  I especially like where it says that the principles of the Word of Wisdom can be "adapted to the capacity of the weak" (D&C 89:3).  This means we can each find what works best for us and also that Heavenly Father will bless us to find this.  I also love that these promises are true:
And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive bhealth in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.  And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen. (D&C 89:18-21)
I was given strength when I needed it most and even found wisdom and great knowledge when I needed them as well.  God took good care of me.

No comments: