Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm finally here

So, I've finally made it to Afghanistan and I'm sitting in Farah. Yay! After almost 3 weeks of traveling, we finally are all here. So, now I'm working with the other S-1 doing turnover and learning what job really is. The others on my team are doing the same thing.

There are beautiful mountains on all four sides and it's a lot less dusty here than in Kandahar. The FOB is pretty small, but a lot bigger than I had imagined. We have barracks that are 2 foot thick concrete barracks, with bathrooms attached. We are living in the lap of luxury! We have lots of other concrete buildings that house the engineering staff, the mechanics, the civil affairs and our operations center. I'd post some photos, but for some reason the internet connection times out when I try to post them.

Needless to say, my time is valuable and I'm learning a lot right now. Sorry this is short, but I'll be able to update more frequently now that I'm in Farah.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Happy Happy birtday ,feliz feliz cumpleanos,have a wonderful day ,I love you and take care.

Mary Dimel said...

Christine, Your adventure has now begun! I am so proud of you, and your spunk, bravery and humor. I know you are a source of strength for you "shipmates" from all the services. Standing by you, though far away. Mary Dimel

Linda Monaghan said...

Hi Christine,
Please stay safe. We are so proud of you
Linda

andi said...

Happy Easter!!! I am sure you have been thinking of last year's Easter in DC like I have been. I hope you are well and I have told my kids lots of stories about you, the nursery and the army/navy.