Sunday, January 31, 2010

ah, weekend

on friday, i just wanted to put my head down on my desk and have a good cry, and i couldn't figure out why.  i was tired after working a couple of very long weeks without a weekend to recuperate, but i didn't think that was reason enough to cry while at work.  i guess i was a bit tired and homesick.

i wanted to run home and be taken care off all weekend.  i wanted to have my mom make her cream of turkey with rice soup with homemade bread and apple pie bars for dessert.  i wanted to watch dumb fort documentaries with my dad, and then watch a romantic comedy with him and my mom.  i wanted to go for a long walk up through the fields and enjoy the silence found only in the mountains of northern utah.  sometimes i wish i didn't live so far away from places where it's easy to find quiet.

instead of running to utah, i spent the weekend enjoying my home here.  it snowed really hard most of the day yesterday, and i spent it helping a friend finish up the chores that come with moving.  it was fun to spend time with her and we laughed about some of our adventures together as we worked.  mainly she needed moral support while buckling down to do the last of her packing and decision making.  i hate that part of moving as well, so i was glad to help and spend time with her.  it felt good last night to go to bed tired from physical exertions and read until i fell asleep.

unexpectedly, i had a very quiet day today.  church was cancelled due to the six to eight inches of snow we received yesterday (yes, i know we are snow wimps here in dc).  with the morning free, i spent it alternating between sleeping and reading, deliciously warm and comfortably tucked in my bed, and relishing not having anything to do or anywhere to be.  it's not often that i have so much time in which to do nothing, or so much time to be quiet.  i spent the rest of the day enjoying my free time, reading, watching a movie, crocheting, chatting briefly with a friend and going for a walk to watch the sunset through the bare branches of the trees around lincoln park.

i'm thankful for weekends that recharge my batteries.  i'm now ready for the new week ahead.

1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

Sometimes a good cry is what us girls need (guys will never understand:) I remember when I was living in D.C. I had times where I felt exactly like you just described! Exactly! I had bouts where I just wanted to escape to a place where I would be taken care and not be the power D.C. worker all the time. Just breath and spend time in nature.

Sounds like you had a nice quiet weekend that helped recharge the internal batteries. So very necessary!