Thursday, March 19, 2009

Playing with the animals





At the Animal Orphanage at Nairobi National Park it's possible to play with the animals. I got to play with 3 5-month old cheetahs. It was amazing. Their fur is really coarse and their bodies are so sturdy. Obviously these are not house cats.

Max, the male, loved being stroked. His Mustang purr was incredible rising from the depths of his throat to transmit his pleasure at receiving affection from yet another stranger. He was lovely and very cuddly as you can tell in the second photo.

Liz, the female in the next two photos, was very playful. She was a little jealous of the attention Max was getting and reached out with her front paws to swat at my bottom while I was petting him. She was nipped at my hands with very sharp teeth and hooked her claws into my pants. I had orange-brown muddy paw prints on my legs from her. She is definitely a hunter. She stretched out and invited me to scratch her belly and under her neck--such a pretty kitty. The other cheetah wasn't too interested in being touched. She was content to sit in the corner and watch.

Afterwards, I fed and petted a 7-month old giraffe. I was laughing the whole time, thinking to myself, “I can’t believe I’m really doing this.” It was great.

What a beautiful moment!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OHMIGOODNESS! I'm so jealous! What a great opportunity! I've worked for Willow Park Zoo for the last two years and I never got so close to our cats! What a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Love the animal pictures and you look so great! Mom