Thursday, September 10, 2009

remember

I remember where I was last year on 9-11.

In the midst of the chaos of war, it's not often that you stop and take a moment to be quiet and reflect. Last year in Afghanistan, we came together for a small remembrance ceremony. One Sailor read a his brother's firsthand account of his experience in New York City on 9-11-2001. Another read 'A Fireman's Prayer' and another 'A Policeman's Prayer'. We remembered the ones who died on that day, as well as our own brothers and sisters in arms who have given their lives in Afghanistan, so that we never have another 9-11. I sang 'Let There Be Peace On Earth'.

"Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be.
With God as our fatherBrothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony."

When it comes right down to it, the reason we are in Afghanistan is that we are hoping, praying and fighting for peace. Ironic that sometimes it takes war in order to have peace. I can't wait for the day when Peace comes.

I've always felt the best way to honor the people who were victims on 9-11 is to live an honorable life, serve others, work hard, be honest, choose the right, pray for peace and always remember.

No comments: