Sunday, October 4, 2009

listening


This weekend I got to sit and listen to a prophet's voice.

In my
church we have General Conference each April and October. It's a time when all the members worldwide come together and and listen to the guidance that our prophet, apostles and other general officers of the church have to share with us. This conference is broadcast around the world in over 80 different languages via satellite, television, radio and internet.

I think it's no coincendence that both conference weekends are in months where the seasons are changing. In April the world is renewing itself, coming alive after winter, plants are starting to poke their green leaves and shoots up, the snow is melting and the days are warming up a bit. In October the world is starting to slow down a bit, leaves are changing colors, the harvest is being gathered, the air is crisp and we are getting ready to hunker down for the cold of winter. General Conference is a lovely reminder that we are constantly changing and at different seasons in our own lives.

It's also nice to stop and just listen. I love being able to dedicate an entire weekend to listening to the words of a prophet and apostles. I love the reminders about the things I need to work on, the things I'm doing right and most important of all how much my Heavenly Father loves me.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how much He really does love me and General Conference weekend always helps me feel that way. I hope you can stop and listen. I hope you know that you are loved by Him and that you can feel it.

Happy autumn.
photo: 'girl listening to radio' commons.wickimedia.org

2 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

This was beautifully put, thanks for sharing:) It's amazing to have what we have through this, and how much it does for me personally.

Tara said...

I never thought about the fact that conference is during the changing of seasons and parallel to that is our time to change. Wow, what perception. Glad you were able to enjoy it. I look forward to the Ensign so I can fill in the spots I missed when my kids were talking to me!