Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Random searching

The lady's name is Christine Boyer, first wife of Lucien Bonaparte, one of Napoleon Bonaparte's younger brothers. It's the classic story of the landlord's daughter marrying a prince and becoming a princess. See, I always knew I was royalty. I demand better treatment and shoes!

This is the Blc. Hilltop Star orchid. It's just one of over 22,000 species. Amazing, and kind of cool.

Have you ever Google searched yourself to see what comes up. Alas, nothing about me personally ever shows up on the first 5 pages of the search results, but I do come across some random findings on Google.

There's a new website that made news headlines this week called http://www.hunch.com/. It helps you make information based decisions based on your responses to questions. I was curious. A website that makes your decisions for you? I tried it out to see what it was, and basically learned what I already knew. I should just follow my hunches.

So, I started off by answering 20 seemingly random questions, like "When you go to a party, who do you talk to? People you know and are comfortable with or everyone, including strangers," and "Your new home entertainment center was just delivered. Do you: hire someone to put it together for you, sit down with the instruction manual and hope you get it right, or just pull everything out of the box and go for it?" I then was able to ask my question about buying a car. I'm planning to buy a car within the next year, so I thought I would see what the suggestions were. I answered about 10 more questions about car related topics such as two or four doors, sporty or practical, and price range. I got three solid answers and a wild card answer. Number 1-Honda Accord Two-door Coupe (So, not a fan of two door coupes, but like the Accord a lot). Number 2-Mini Cooper Convertible (Yay!! Love the mini. Seriously considering this car for purchase.) Number 3-Volkswagon Golf (I like VWs, but like the Jetta better). Wild Card-Chevy Uplander FWD mini-van (Big thumbs down. I even answered a question about putting a baby seat in the car. Boo!).

Interesting little experiment here. Hunch.com was co-founded a woman name Catherine Fake. Does that mean the irony is that it's a Fake Hunch?

Really, though I'm a firm believer that you can always find what you're looking for. If you look for happiness, you'll be happy. If you look for misery, you'll be miserable. I've found it's easier to get answers when I can let go of expectations, and just expect to get an answer or at the very least find what I'm looking for.

Lately I keep losing my keys. What's that a sign of? Maybe nothing, but still an interesting thought considering I've spent quite a bit of time over the past month and a half looking for some keys to a storage unit with no luck. So, maybe my theory of always finding what you're looking for doesn't work on keys. Then again, there are no magic keys in real life.

So, in this information age, when we have so much at our finger tips, it's interesting to think that a search algorithm might be able to help you make a decision or find you answer to a question. All my Hunch.com experience did, was confirm that I pretty much had my own answer all along. Granted there are some things that you do want to ask for help on, or maybe just talk about with a friend just to hear yourself think it out.

In searching, it's always fun to see what you find. I never expected to find a portrait of a 18th century French princess or a hilltop star orchid while doing random online searches. What pleasant surprises these answers turned out to be. Maybe that's point of searching; there are always pleasant surprises to be had. Often all we need to do is stop and listen to the divine within ourselves. We just have to get to a quiet place in order to listen to the right voice for the answers we already have.

1 comment:

ginger said...

Christine, this was funny and wonderful. Thanks. I wish princesses, pretty flowers and other cool things came up when I googled my name. Unfortunately, I only find myself.