Thursday, October 18, 2012

thoughtful thursday: a psalm

My Great-Aunt Marian passed away recently at the age of 94. She lived a full and lovely life, so her funeral was such a celebration of her life and the knowledge the gospel gives us that we will see our loved ones again. Aunt Marian was a gifted writer and wrote a lovely psalm that was printed on the funeral program, and I wanted to share it here. She was truly a great example of a Christ-like life and love. I want to be more like her.

A Psalm - By Marian W. Bischoff

Let my soul praise Thee, Oh Lord! I rejoice in Thy presence
In the rosy glow of the evening, the glorious promise of the morning,
And the sweet fulfillment of the day.

I praise Thee for the simple pleasures of my life;
The privilege of daily labor that is my joy;
I delight in the laughter and out stretched arms of a toddler's greeting;
The happy return from school and reciting of the day;
An hour in church to hear a grandchild's testimony;
And the surge of witness bearing tears in recognition of the a truth.

I treasure the sweet solace of a heartfelt prayer, 
With answers quick or patience for a wait.
To serve for precious hours in Thy house
Brings comfort to the aching heart and quiet to my soul.

I praise Thee for companionship; a good and honest husband,
A family large, and friends true, 
To comfort and sustain me as I journey and grow.

Oh, Lord, I glorify Thy name in all my days' familiar things; 
And bless Thee for the calm renewal of the night.

No comments: