Monday, February 21, 2011

being tired and other random thoughts

So, this weekend I gave into the exhaustion I have been feeling for several months and slept, and slept and slept.


I didn't go to work on Friday, because I was way too tired. I slept over at a friend's house the night before because of the not fun stuff which happened that day. I wasn't up to being by myself in my apartment that night. When I got home morning, I was supposed to be cleaning up the mess from the day before while waiting for the Landlord (Ll) to come over. Instead I slept on the couch until early afternoon and even then it took a while to convince my body fully wake up. It was a gorgeously warm day in the seventies, so I spent a few hours cleaning up the mess of broken glass inside and out, while Ll removed the window. I spent the night alone in my apartment with a huge sheet of plywood covering the missing window while it was out for repairs. I only got scared once when I woke up at 0300 to voices in the back alley.


I spent Saturday catching up with a good friend who was in town for the weekend. I love M2! We go way back to London and Kenya. It's always a good time when we can catch up on our lives and solve the world's problems. It was so good to see her for the day.


The Ll came back with a repaired window and installed window bars while we were out enjoying the day. The bars are on the inside of the window and the one on the right opens up to allow for escape in the case of a fire. I'm thankful for them, but my blood ran a bit a cold when I returned home and saw them. Oh the har realities of living in the city...


My new bedroom window bars. I feel safer, but...
I slept all day on Sunday. I slept through two alarms that I had set to wake me up for church. My mind and body were telling me ignore the world and just rest, I guess. I was sad to realize I had missed church when I finally did wake up, but figured that sometimes my body just knows what it needs. I also didn't fight too hard to wake up.


I finally got up and sat on the couch in the late afternoon and read The Pioneer Woman's newest book: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels: A Love Story. I read it in one sitting, not finishing until after midnight. It was a fun escape. It's a real life love story of a city girl, PW, who meets a cowboy, Marlboro Man, and they fall in love. It's a great story, even more so because I knew I was reading someone's true life experience with love, marriage, first pregnancy and adjusting to a whole new life. I laughed and cried right along with PW as she lived her life on the pages of her book. While the writing isn't exactly earth shattering, I loved it. 


I'm only half kidding when I say that I'm now officially in love with Marlboro Man after reading the book. There's a part of me that understands the draw of living in the country, on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, and working really hard every day to make a living and keep a family going. It's a good and beautiful thing. And something I think I could do and be good at, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be what I want for my own life. I like seeing how others live their own lives and the choices they make to get what they want. It gives me hope that I can do the same.


Marlboro Man
Special thanks to friend KC who showed up on my doorstep with a copy of PW's book for me. Thanks for thinking of me. Great minds really do think alike.


I slept until almost ten this morning. I am now headed out to enjoy the rest of the day, buy new blinds to replace the one that got torn to shreds by the rock that came through the window, and stop by the US Botanical Gardens. I'm in need of a little springtime green-ness for my soul.

2 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

I'm so glad you just slept and took care of yourself! It sounds like you needed it:) Have fun at the Botanical Gardens, they are beautiful.

p.s. I read that book on her website and loved it.

Kimber said...

Ha ha! I was at Costco yesterday returning THREE gifts. The other two -- for my husband and grandmother -- were sent back because the recipients couldn't even pretend to like them. Oh well. At least I know my friends! :-)