Tuesday, March 22, 2011

happiness is a process

I used to think that either I was happy or I wasn't, and there wasn't really too much I could do to change that state. Boy, was I wrong. I've learned over time that happiness takes work.  I've been reading a lot about it lately and working at being happier.

I really like this: Happiness Engineering by the creator of Dilbert. Quick and practical ideas, nothing earth shattering or new here, just a nice list of principles of happiness.

And I really LOVE this: The Happiness Project a blog by Gretchen Rubin who also wrote a book with same title that is fantastic. I'm reading it now and will have a review to post soon. I borrowed this book from the library and love it so much that I'm buying my own copy to have on hand and mark up with my notes. I feel like I found a text book for happiness in my life with this book. My library copy has post-its sticking out every which way with all my notes.

I dubbed this year My Year of Happiness and so far it's been an interesting journey.  In just three short months with one situation after the other that would normally suck the happiness right out of me, like meeting someone new, falling in like and breaking up, learning hard lessons about trust, and even having my apartment robbed, I am experiencing greater amounts of happiness, which is definitely something that hasn't happened before in my life.

Happiness is a process and I'm just now starting to get a handle on it.


P.S. Spring has sprung here in DC. The hyacinth I planted last fall are starting to come up and in a few days they will look like these. Yay!

1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

I just checked out that blog and loved it. Totally linking to it.