Monday, February 8, 2010

snowpacolypse 2 - the day after the day after and more to come tomorrow

From weather.com:

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 20 INCHES.

Seriously, 10 to 20 MORE inches.  Where are we going to put it?!?!?!  The news is saying the city is dumping snow at the old hospital grounds.  That's just up the street from me.  But seriously, 10 to 20 more inches... uh, okay.  I'm waiting to see if Metro will be running before I decide if I'm going into work tomorrow--no word yet.

Snow day today--the first of this year and the second for this winter which have been declared by the Federal Government.  As a federal employee, I'm thankful I didn't have to try and get to work today.  My car is still buried. I didn't even try to dig it out, because there's no way I'm going to be driving on these streets.

I went for a walk around the neighborhood, because I needed to get out and get some fresh air.  I helped push out two cars that were stuck on A Street NE, where not one snow plow had passed by.  One Honda was high-centered on the snow and it took four passers-by and the two women in the car to dig out the snow and then push it out.  Fun stuff!

Maybe there was a snow plow that came through this street.

On the roads where the snow plows did their job,
this is what it takes to dig your car out.

Here's what the car above probably looked before it was dug out.
Imagine 10 to 20 more inches on top of this!

Digging out is a neighborhood affair.  This guy hired the neighbor boys to dig his car out.
The owner of the car talked to me as I went by, and said he needed to get to Baltimore tonight.
Okay, sure.  Be stupid and drive--good luck and be safe.

This is A Street NE where dug out the Honda.
Amazing that this street hasn't been plowed yet.

Cross country skier going through the intersection.
I should order some skis, it would be easiest way to get around the neighborhood and get to work.
Plus, my thighs and butt would look AWESOME.

Looking down East Capitol Street, I can finally see pavement
and the Capitol in the distance.

Lots of trees in the neighborhood have storm damage from the weight of the snow.
I'm just glad none of the big trees around my house have had problems.

My friend CSB said the streets near the schools have been plowed in her neighborhood.
But this street is right next to the middle school, and only two blocks away from me.
As you can see, no snow plow.

Well, Mother Nature is showing her great power this week.
I really hope the storm tomorrow rolls right by without dumping on us.

Other friends from church have also been blogging about the storm.
Check out their new puppy in the snow here.  Very cute and fun!

photos by me

No comments: