Tuesday, February 16, 2010

that feeling of something coming

I wrote the following post just over two years ago.  Little did I know that about six months later I would be heading to Afghanistan and giving up a year of my life to that endeavour.  Something amazing was coming, I just had no idea what it was going to be. I love that from time to time God lets me in on His plan.  Well, at least He gives me a heads up.  I've been feeling that way again.  It's making me a little nervous, but excited.

Here's another of the posts I saved from MySpace, written on 16 March 2007:

When you least expect it something happens and all of a sudden you're willing to take some risks. That's where I'm at right now. I'm ready to take some risks. I'm ready to make a move and make some major changes in my life.

I have this sense of anticipation that something really amazing is coming my way and I need to be ready, 'cause it's gonna be life changing. It's exciting and I like it. But..., I've had this feeling before and it was a total let down. Sometimes I think God has a sense of humor and just likes to play with me. But then I think it's just life and my undying optimism that good things are always gonna come my way.

A couple of months ago I was robbed at gunpoint less than a block away from my home. It scared the hell out of me! That was a wake up call, and it really shook me up for a couple of days. I still get nervous when people walk behind me on the street. This made me sit up and start thinking about what I wanted in my life and how much power I have.

I decided that I refused to give that man anymore power in my life, and that I would move forward. Essentially that is what risk does, it forces us to move forward. Risk compels a decision that has been put off for fear of something not working or getting hurt.

Wow! I can't think of anything else to write right now. It's past midnight and I'm a little delirious for lack of sleep. I'm getting old. Sleep is now a major necessity in my life. Ciao for now.

2 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

I remember when that incident happened and you telling me about it. I especially like this:

"Risk compels a decision that has been put off for fear of something not working or getting hurt"

That is such a great quote to use in all areas of life. I cannot tell you how many times I have followed that mantra and been grateful that I did.

Mr. Baxter Brown said...

You are so brave and honest. I am excited to see what is in store for you. Let's see what good comes from that feeling. I have a good feeling about the future too - and I know God won't let us down!