Thursday, April 7, 2011

easy fish recipes

I grew up in Utah, which isn't known for it's seafood. We also didn't eat a lot of fish in my family, so I never learned how to prepare it or eat it. Lately, I've been trying to learn to cook fish and incorporate more into my diet. I found a couple of really great recipes on the packages of the fish I recently bought. They were really easy to prepare and I had all the ingredients ready to go without buying more stuff. Plus, they were really, really good.

Sauteed Halibut with Orange Sauce
This is for 1//2 lbs. of halibut fillets.
1/2 c. orange juice
2 green onions, sliced diagonally
1 Tbsp. lime or lemon juice
3 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. sale
Seasoned Flour: Combine 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.

Combine all ingredients but seasoned flour and pour over the halibut. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Prepare seasoned flour, and dip fillets into the flour. Saute in 2 tsp. oil for 10 minutes. Allow 10 minutes cooking time per inch of thickness. Turn fillets halfway through cooking time. Move halibut to platter and keep warm. Add marinade to the skillet, and reduce to half the volume. I added the seasoned flour to sauce to thicken it quicker, and I loved this sauce--sooooo good. I served with oven grilled brussel sprouts and carrots.

Grilled Tilapia
This is for 2 lbs. of tilapia fillets.
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. lime juice

Combine the ingredients, pour over the fillets and marinate for 30 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of cooking time per inch of thickness or cook until fillet flakes when forked. After the fillets were cooked, I added the rest of the marinade to the skillet along with a packet of raw spinach and cooked it up. The spinach soaked up all the nice flavors of the marinade--yum. I also oven grilled some fresh green beans that I need to use up with slivered almonds, olive oil and sea salt.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm making this fish! And we are neighbors. At least when you come home to Paradise for two seconds. You come over any time and we'll cook, and eat, and laugh, and do all those lovely things! Love ya!