Tuesday, November 15, 2011

good food: beanie's whole wheat oatmeal pancakes

I have vivid memories of these pancakes from my childhood. These are hands down my favorite pancakes of all time. I salivate at the mere thought of these pancakes.

Mom would make a huge batch of these on Saturday mornings and freeze the leftovers in bread bags. During the week on school mornings, we could pull out pancakes, stick them in the toaster to heat them up and have a quick, yummy breakfast.

I made homemade applesauce last week and my roommate said it would go great with pancakes. I immediately thought of my Mom's wholewheat oatmeal pancakes. So, on Sunday evening I made applesauce again and the pancakes to go with the applesauce. The pancakes are in the freezer providing quick breakfasts throughout the week for my roommate and I. Yum!

Beanie’s Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes
The measurements in parentheses are half the recipe = about 15 pancakes
Whole recipe = about 30 pancakes
Mix together: 
(2) 4 c. whole wheat flour
(1) 2  c. oatmeal (quick or soak old fashioned)
(1) 2 Tbsp. baking powder
(3/4) 1 ½ c. powdered milk
(1/2) 1 tsp. salt
(3/4) 1 ½ c. sugar

Mix separately: 
(2) 3 eggs
(1/4) ½ c. oil

Add:
(2-3) 4-6 c. water

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. If you are soaking the old-fashioned oats, do not add the oatmeal until you add the wet ingredients. Beat the eggs and oil together in a separate bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Then add water until you get the desired consistency for pancakes. Cook as you would pancakes. Freeze leftovers.

Tips:
1. If you have old-fashioned oats, soak them for about 10 minutes in warm water before adding them to your mixture. Use the water you soaked them in as part of the required water.
2. If you don't have powdered milk, use regular milk as half of the required water. I did and it worked great.
3.  I used turbinado sugar instead of white sugar. I also added 1 tsp. vanilla and some cinnamon as well.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. I'll post my applesauce recipe later this week.

1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

I am going to try those pancakes, they look SO good. Thanks for sharing a family receipe!