Saturday, December 19, 2009

snow!


This is the view from my doorway this morning.
Lovely marshmallow snow, untouched by humans.
I still need to buy one of these and some of this.


I walked up my stairs to get a better look.



Notice there are no cars parked on the street.  My street is a Snow Emergency Route or SNER.
SNERs are great fun if you park on them during a
"crippling snowpocalypse"
(this is what some of the local media termed our winter storm),
you get towed and reparked on a route that is not a SNR.
Not only do you get reparked, and
have to call the DC DMV to figure where the heck they parked your friend's car
which you're supposed to be using to pick him up from Dulles Airport in less than an hour,
it's also a $250 ticket.

This happened to me during my first week in DC.  I got to learn the hard way about SNERs.
Try pronouncing SNER the way its spelled and that's pretty much how I felt that day.
It's a weird feeling to look out the window to see how much snow there is,
and then realize the car isn't there anymore.
In fact, there are no cars at all parked on the street.
(Yes, the Twilight Zone theme song played in my head.)
I finally found my friend's car parked two blocks away,
 and was able to safely drive through the snow to Dulles and retrieve him. 

We protested the ticket in traffic court.
Now, I don't normally pull out the
I-just-moved-to-the-Big-City-
from-a-small-town-in-Utah-with more-cows-than-people-and-we-don't-have-SNERs-card,
but this time it worked.
The judge threw out the fine.  Yay for the judge!
Moral of the story: Watch where you park in DC during a snowstorm.

My new neighbors learned this the hard way this morning. 
They parked their car and their U-Haul on the street over night last night. 
This morning they're calling the DMV looking for their vehicles.  Poor them.
I tried to warn them but no one answered the door when I knocked.
I'm awake now because they knocked on my door asking for help.

And on a much happier note:



It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Toys in ev'ry store
But the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be
On your own front door.

Isn't my front door so pretty with all the snow!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!

Oh, and I'm buying these as soon as I finish this post.
Or something like them.

photos by me
 
 
 

2 comments:

Tanya S. said...

I love snow! That's all. Just had to share that.

[It's a good day :-)]

Globe Trecker said...

Beautiful! Oh, and I loooove those boots. So cute.