Saturday, December 5, 2009

some snow, a tree & a latin carol



Today it snowed!  It was a lovely, sticky, wet, marshmallowy fluff snow with flakes that looked like clumps of goose down feathers falling from the sky.  It was so beautiful.  Snow just makes me happy, and it makes me want Christmas.



Christmas greenery at Eastern Market covered in snow.

I bought my Christmas tree from Eastern Market in the middle of the snow storm this morning.  It's standing in all its naked glory in my living room giving off a pine scented perfume that says, "Hey, Christmas is here!"  Decorating will occur either tomorrow or Monday evening.


My little tree waiting for its ride home.

A Christmas concert this evening in a lovely Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill was the perfect end to this day.  The Capitol Hill Chorale once again performed a beautiful concert and inspired me with works of beauty.  They performed one of my favorite carols In dulci jubilo, better known in English as Good Christian Men, Rejoice.  I love singing this carol in the original Latin and German text, but the English translation in the program tonight was particularly poignant.  It fully wrapped my heart in Christmas spirit today.

"In quiet joy now sing with hearts aglow!
Our delight and pleasure lies in a manger.
Like sunshine is our treasure in the mother's lap.
Thou art Alpha and Omega.

"O tiny Jesus for thee I long alway!
Comfort my heart's blindness, o best of boys.
With all Thy loving kindness,
O prince of glory, draw me after Thee.

"O love of the Father!  O gentleness of the Son!
Deeply were we stained by our sins.
But Thou for us hast gained the joy of heaven.
O that we were there!

"Where are joys in any place but there!
There are angels singing new songs,
and there the bells are ringing in the king's court.
O that we were there!"
(original Latin and German text by Heinrich Seuse, 1328)

Happy Christmas!
I definitely caught some Christmas spirit today.

photos by me

1 comment:

Globe Trecker said...

That is one of my favorite Christmas songs, too! I bet your house smells so good with the fresh Christmas tree. Love it.