Wednesday, June 30, 2010

simple gifts - my musical history

Yo-Yo Ma is a genius. He knows how to make a cello sing, literally.  I particularly love his version of Simple Gifts from his album Classic Yo-Yo.  His cello accompaniment to the vocals of Allison Kraus is so spare and roomy, it perfectly highlights the message of simplicity, balance and finding your own space.  For me this version is like a long, calming, deep breath of cool air, and when I listen to it I am instantly filled with peace and calm.

I also sang a version of Simple Gifts at my sister's wedding, so I have vivid memories of this song, that whole beautiful day and all the love that was present.  Even though I was struggling with having lost my voice, I still sang and by the end of the song my voice regained its strength and was true.

I remembering thinking that's how my life is.  I don't always start off strong, but bit by bit, step by step my true strength and character is being revealed.  Like the lump of clay on a potter's wheel shaped by the gentle, visionary hands of a master, I too am shaped by the Master and he helps me take on my true form, just as all of us are.  "To turn, turn will be our delight, Till by turning, turning we come round right."

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
    'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
    'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
    To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
    Till by turning, turning we come round right.
                         -by Elder Joseph Brackett, a Shaker


Enjoy.  I especially like the photos in this video.



Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYi9Vr8bHJY

3 comments:

Jordan and Amy Kite said...

Hey you, Remember me? I can't believe I found your blog. Its been forever and you look great! It looks like things are good, and I am glad. You were always so nice and fun to be around, I can't believe I lost touch with you. I found you now so I will keep up with you!

meg fee said...

oh i cannot get enough of yo-yo ma. if only i could come and get him to play at my wedding (whenever that might be).

Globe Trecker said...

This is so beautiful:)