Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Mailing Address

I'm glad that everyone seems to be enjoying the blog. Yay!! I hope more people write comments and ask questions.

So, the past couple of days have been interesting. For the next three weeks I am in what is called Staff Training. I am the junior staff member, meaning that I am the lowest ranked person on the staff. However, I will be the administration person for approximately 100 personnel, to include Army and Navy service members. This is a huge responsibility and little overwhelming when I think about it. My commander (CDR) and First Sergeant (1Sgt) both know how much work this is and we are already starting to think about how we will be running the admin shop.

Yesterday, we did lots of country overview briefs and received a brief introduction to Afghan culture. This got everyone real excited. However, the most exciting brief was this morning when we received an introduction to IED recognition and deterrence. We learned about the most recent IED building methods and a little about how to recognize them. In January, when the rest of our team arrives, we will do the hands on training and go out on "missions" to learn how to do all this stuff. So, now I'm a little scared, but I'm also pretty confident in the training I'll receive. I have to remember, that we are just as creative as they are. Just like they are coming up with new methods for IEDs, we are coming up with new methods to deter them.

We have started doing Physical Training (PT) together as a team. As the slowest runner, I got to lead the run this morning. I think I did pretty well at keeping a steady pace. My 1Sgt said that I kept a ten-minute mile pace the whole way. So, we aren't going to win any marathons, but then again a mile and a half at 0530 in the morning isn't that much fun. At least I got my endorphin high early. Hoo-ah!

I'll try and get some photos of me in uniform up later this week. It's kind of funny to be in an Army uniform with Navy patches on it. Army privates, etc. see my crow and start trying to salute me, which gives all of us a laugh or two.

Merry Christmas everyone!

6 comments:

janie said...

It looks like you are on your way! The IED thing is scary (I had to google IED). The works sounds challenging. I could use the PT! You are in our thoughts and prayers. The RS misses you.

the hooligan said...

Did you get any of this snow, well, a dusting really here in DC? Sounds like you're settling in. Let me know what your HT can do.
-Mike Q

christine said...

No snow today here, but it was cold.

Sorry about not saying what an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) is. Basically, we'll be learning how not to get blown up. Fun stuff!

andi said...

Hi Christine -- I featured you on my blog last week and told all my friends to stop by here and say hello. I am loving your blog. Do you really get up at 5:30 to go running? WOW. Maybe I should sign up. Have a merry Christmas. Where will you be for the holidays?

Unknown said...

I like to give you a huge so let me know when you are coming to utah quisas nos podamos ver en el aeropuerto.
take care xoxox
Ximena

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas and good luck. Thank you for your service:)