Sunday, November 29, 2009

Things I'm thank for this week - VII

We all know it's good to be thankful or in others words to cultivate an 'attitude of gratitude'.  I recently read an article on The Benefits of Being Thankful.  The author summarizes the benefits, which result from consciously spending a little time each day being thankful.  Participants in the study reported greater levels of optimism and more positive moods and a feeling of belonging, or in other words "experiencing gratitude promoted psychological well being."  Not only did they feel better, but they also spent more time helping someone else with their problems.  Participants in another study reported less physical illness symptoms and spent more time exersizing.  So, being thankful also promotes physical well being or good health. 


Another study, focused on participants with a neuromuscular disease, and they reported higher levels of positive sleep, as well as more and better quality sleep.  The study group participant's spouse or partner were also asked to track behaviors during the study and reported more positive outlooks and less negativity, meaning that the effects of gratitude were noticeable by others. 


I already knew all of this.  Okay, I hadn't consciously sat down and thought about how being grateful was making me happier or healthier, I just knew on some level that it was.  This article simply confirmed what I already knew and could feel within myself as I contemplated my blessings.


I love that God's commandments are for the benefit of his children.  And so it is with the commandment to "...live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which He doth bestow upon you" (Alma 34:38).  I hope that you often spend time contemplating and listing those things for which you are thankful.  As you do, you will reap the blessings of being thankful.

It's hard to narrow the list to just a few things each day for which I'm thankul.
So, here is a long list:


leaves changing colors
raking leaves
change
mail
cleanliness
sleep and rest
my savior and friend, jesus christ
hair cuts
travel
good food
my job
experience
you
good conversation
my grandma's orange chairs
my family
books on my shelves
art on my walls
holidays
time off
time alone
time with friends
time
hope, faith, love, service
testimony of christ, prayer, the restored gospel and god
being thankful






3 comments:

Globe Trecker said...

Lovin' your thankful lists! It makes me think of the same things I'm thankful for. Especially after just returning from a third world country.

Unknown said...

P and I try to thank each other for doing the daily tasks around the house - dishes, laundry, etc. It helps to keep us mindful of how much the other does.

christine said...

I love hearing how you stay thankful and thank those around you.

Thanks for sharing.