Monday, December 28, 2009

i looked out the window

i looked out the window and what did i see?
four missionaries singing carols to me.





i have a soft spot in my heart for the lds missionaries.

i promised them christmas goodies, 
if they would stop by to serenade me with carols.
they're such great young men
with such a bright light in their eyes and huge kind spirits.
they had me laughing and singing with them,
and remembering when i was missionary myself in chile.


they saw the ornament on my tree
with my little brother chris's photo and asked me about him.
they listened as i described him,
and talked about the miracles
that happened in our family the year he died.
chris wanted to be a missionary too, and now
when i see missionaries i think of chris
and imagine him as a missionary.

i also think of chris's comical side and how he made me laugh.
it's that unique sense of humor that only young men have.



yep, it's definitely unique to them.

so, if a pair of young men in suits and ties happen to knock on your door
then you should tell them you've heard they know how to sing
and ask them to sing their favorite hymn for you.


they might look at you weird,
but they will sing.
and you'll have a smile on your face
and a warmth in your heart.
i do.


photos by me


No comments: