Sunday, December 16, 2012

4th day of christmas


I have always thought of Christmas time as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely. ~Charles Dickens


So, yesterday I was in a mood... a very bad mood. Yet here I was hanging up thirty feet of pine garland with lights outside yesterday, decorating a wreath for our front door, and finishing putting ornaments and icicles on the Christmas tree. And all while in a very mood.

My mood didn't even change when I listened to the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. I knew that listening to God's word and Christmas carols was what I needed, but I didn't feel the effects immediately. I sat and listened to Pres. Monson's sermon on serving, and Josiah (the dog) sat next to me begging for attention which I was happy to give him. There was a glimmer of change somewhere in my heart.

Then I had some errands to run and knew they involved going to a box store that begins with the letter T, which I absolutely do not like this time of year, and making some phone calls which I had been putting off for a while now. But I asked my roommate if she needed anything and she did, so off I went with a list in hand and bad attitude in tow. I did my errands and picked up what she needed. I survived the despicable store that begins with a T, stopped at my favorite restaurant on the way home to get food and arrived home with the beginnings of a better mood in sight.

This morning I woke up with a much different heart in place. I am thankful that my prayers were answered and that I felt differently. I'm grateful I know God lives, that I can ask him for help and choose to receive it. I'm thankful I can be in a bad mood and have the space I need to make it better and get over it. I'm thankful that my heart can be changed by the Christmas spirit.

No comments: